Tuesday 25 September 2007

More Mottos

Gordon Brown wants to create a national motto for the Britain. I have no idea what has prompted him to think of this foolishness, but, a few days ago, I posted a few suggestions of my own.

Today, I see the BBC has published a list of 1000 suggested mottos. It's interesting to note that, although a few appear to be serious suggestions (there's always one, isn't there?), the vast majority amount to incisive comments on the society in which we are forced to live.

A few of my faves:

Smile! You're on CCTV
God Help Us
The United Kingdom - Are we bovvered?
Please don't rob me
Shamed be the person who smokes
Great Britain: Open 9 to 5, weekdays
Not my job, squire
Last one out please switch off the lights
Not waving but drowning
Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses and I will give them council houses and money
This sceptic isle
Your call is important to us
Sod it, that'll do
Welcome to GB - the ecofascist captial of the world
Come to Britain, if not to live, just to pick up a free kidney transplant on the NHS
All aboard now! Standing room only!

Obviously, I'm not alone in thinking that the country's falling apart. I'd be willing to bet that none of these comment - or any of the hundreds like them - make it into the motto shortlist, though.

I can't even bring myself to believe that Gordon Brown and his cronies will take them as a serious cross section of how the public see life - that would be too much like admitting, even to themselves, that they've spent the last 10 years making a total mess. And that would never do, would it?

Billy Seggars.

No comments: